I had the luxury of getting a seat on the subway this morning. It is always
hard during rush hour since there are just more people on the subway, but in the
past few weeks, since I have started to really "look" pregnant, I'm usually
offered a seat. I can honestly say that I was stunned this morning while
sitting in my seat how rude people were around me.
A woman, who was obviously pregnant got on the subway, and was standing about two
people away from where I was sitting. This was not one of those "Is the pregnant
or maybe just fat?" situations... This was a "Is she pregnant, or is she carrying
a large watermelon in her shirt?" kind of look. And well, if you think woman
ride the subways with watermelons stuffed in their shirts, I guess you've
got bigger problems. Sooooo this woman was clearly pregnant. After giving it a
second, NOT ONE PERSON around me stood up to offer her a seat! Not the young
20 something man next to me, not the comfy looking 30 year old woman on the
other side of me, not the two business man across from me... no one. Now, I
know... sometime we get engrossed in a good book, or we are hitting that next
high level in Angry Birds... but COME ON PEOPLE not one of you noticed the woman
standing in front of you, CLEARLY PREGNANT???
Seriously, she might have corns on her feet that she's never experienced because
she is carrying more weight than ever before. She might have suddenly sprouted
hemorrhoids and is uncomfortable no matter what she does. Her back might be
killing her. Maybe she didn't sleep all night because she was up 5 times
going to the bathroom, or her body hurt and she couldn't get comfortable,
or the baby decided to play gymnastics in her belly all night, or she was up crying
most of the night because she realized she doesn't know how to swaddle a baby
and that skill might be the only thing that saves her from the depths of terrible parenting.
I don't know what this woman was going through, but let's just say it could have been any of
these. BUT NO ONE OFFERED HER A SEAT!
So I did.
Now, I am 31 weeks pregnant. But I was feeling ok this morning, and she was
clearly further along that I was, and I had already had a seat for the past 6
subways stops, so I figured I'd share my good fortune and give her my seat,
SINCE NO ONE ELSE DID. But when I stood up, she shook her head and said, "no
way, you are pregnant too!". So we exchanged the "how far along?" "you look
great" pleasantries within earshot of the idiots sitting around me and then I
sat back down. And then I was uncomfortable, and then I was mad, and then just
sad. Not one person cared that she is carrying a little life in there and
cooking that little life is exhausting and she might benefit from a seat.
So, my advice to you.... GIVE HER YER DAMN SEAT! Look up people and see all of
the wonderful humans standing around you every once in a while. I have lived in
New York City for 14 years, I understand, that time on the subway can be
difficult, or it can be the only time for you to read that good book you've been
wanting to read forever, or it can be the only time you can prepare yourself for
your hard work day, or your getting off the late shift and you are tired and ready
for bed... whatever, I get it. But please notice the people around you. Notice
that older woman who struggles to hold on to the higher bar. Notice that guy
with the cast on his leg who looks able bodied but is having a bad month.
Notice the happy, sad, excited faces around you. And please, notice the pregnant
woman standing right in front of you.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your name with your comment! Thanks!