My hairdresser broke up with me.
Well, that's not really true. She didn't so much as break up with me, but she
is moving and it feels like she is leaving me. Well, that's actually true, she
is leaving me, but my husband says that I shouldn't take it personally, she is
moving out of town for very positive reasons and is leaving all her "clients"
and I just happen to be one of many. Whatever, I still think she is breaking up
with me.
I am very loyal to my hairdressers. I am not sure why. When I was in college I
had been going to this very cool hairdresser in my hometown. He was the kind of
cool hairdresser that would smoke weed with his clients, wait maybe all of them do that, but I didn't know it then… but he was also the kind of hairdresser that would forget he was coloring your hair and go into a panic half way through. One time I was getting a perm. Yes, I LOVED my hair permed and felt that it gave my long skinny face some umph!
Anyway, I was getting a perm by my hairdresser when I think he forgot, he would pop in and out of the salon in between checking on me, and didn't leave me in the solution for
very long, but the entire process took 6 HOURS. Not even kidding. Six hours
later I left with my curly locks. So, when I went off to college a few hours
away, I was beside myself, regardless of his many foibles, I was loyal. I
wasn't sure what to do. I couldn't trust anyone else… so every couple of months
I would drive to my hometown to get my hair done. Sometimes he wouldn't even
remember my appointment, but it didn't matter, I couldn't break up with him!
So, years later I arrive in New York and I go on a search for a hairdresser
because quite frankly I can't fly home to California every few months just for a
trim. After a few attempts I finally find The One. She is awesome… so cool, so
hip and totally gets my hair. I stay with her for years…. I follow her from
salon to salon. I am thrilled when she and her partner open their own salon. I
am loyal. I love my hair and recommend her to everyone I know, even complete
strangers who complement me on my hair. I am thrilled when she and her partner
embark on a personal life together and have beautiful baby twin boys… but
somewhere in the back of my head I know its coming. She is gonna leave me!!
So, I got an email from her the other day confirming my biggest fears. She is
going… taking her wonderful partner (who has also cut and colored my hair over
the years and whom I adore) and they are leaving for a far away land, greener
pastures if you will. And I am sad. Is that weird? Yes, yes it is. But she
has been with me through boyfriends, evil girlfriends, headshots, acting
stories, many changes in career, marriage to the wonderful husband, a move to
Brooklyn, a move back to Manhattan, getting a puppy… all of it. She knows
everything! She says she will come back every few weeks, but I have a sneaking
suspicion that it won't last for the years I would stay with her. So I am
mourning the loss of my hairdresser (a few months before she even leaves) and I
feel slightly crazy for being so sad.
Wish me luck during our breakup, I might need a lot of support, and a trim.
I know how hard that is! We just broke up with ours in October because we moved across the country.
ReplyDeleteIt was a very sad day....for all involved.
www.booshy.com (that's me!)